Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Modern Blanket Fort



















Not so long ago I got together with a good friend of mine, Natalie, and we decided to collaborate on a project together. After much talk about life, and design, and the meaning of both, we decided to do a project around the modern blanket fort. Actually, it didn't begin like that at all, but while doing research on our topic (which was broad and seems to have slipped my mind) I came across the blanket fort. Whilst admiring, thinking, and most of all reminiscing about the countless blanket forts I used to construct as a child, it got me thinking: how cool would it be to have a blanket fort that transcends all ages? If you break down the essence of a blanket fort as seen through the eyes of a child you will discover that it's primary appeal is that of escape and protection. Escape into the far lands of the their imagination , and protection from what those far lands have lurking. As "adults" we are always seeking this except instead of imaginary, these things we need protection from are real. Whether it be the stress of the day or the need to not be found; to be within ones own element, fortified. I have my first official skype meeting with her today (noon her time and 8 p.m my time) which I am very excited about. Perhaps we are on to something?