Friday, January 22, 2010

Iconic















There is just something about icons that I absolutely love. I don't know if it's their simplicity that makes them so straight forward that I like, or if it's just that so much is crammed into one simple gesture that everyone just somehow gets them that makes them beautiful. Making a clear, understandable icon is itself a great feat, but a fun one. However, I think my love for them goes beyond their simplicity. I think what really gets me is they take the normal and the "everyday" and make them iconic. They say so much in so little, and you can make them say whatever you want. A heart for love, and arrow for direction, a lighting bolt for caution, touch this high voltage item and you may be blown 50 feet into the air and not live to see another day. I think if Dieter Rams were a graphic designer, he would be a master of iconography. You can now download some of these great icons HERE for free! They come in both vector and raster form, so go ahead and admire and have fun!

No comments: